A well made breakfast burrito is one of the great pleasures of life.
And yet, the older I get, the harder it is to incorporate these little beauties into a healthy diet.
Especially since I track everything I eat with MyFitnessPal, and am keenly aware of where every calorie comes from. Six days out of seven, I log 1,300 to 1,600 calories (depending how much I exercise that day).
Then every Sunday, I enjoy myself one glorious CHEAT DAY.
I started to permit myself breakfast burritos only on cheat days. Because damn, these are usually calorie monstrosities, easily tipping the counter at over 500 calories.
(Omigod, I remember the old breakfast burritos I used to eat, at Burrito Factory in San Jose, bursting at the seams with refried beans, potatoes, fatty bacon, and sour cream. I would estimate that those burritos were easily over 800 calories. Maybe even 1,000!)
Here’s a lighter version, when you only need a little taste, without being weighed down by the whole
300 calorie breakfast burrito
- 1 La Tortilla Factory Light flour tortilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Kraft Mexican Style shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped red pepper or other vegetables you have on hand (onions, spinach, mushrooms, etc.)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Your favorite hot sauce (I love Tapatio)
- Heat a small skillet on high for 2 minutes.
- Spray a little cooking spray into the pan, throw in the veggies and saute until cooked (for fresh spinach, about a minute).
- Crack an egg into a bowl, stir it with a fork, and pour it in the pan with the veggies, making a scramble.
- Put the scramble back into the bowl, then turn the heat down to medium. Heat the tortilla on both sides, 20 seconds each side, to get it pliable.
- Place the tortilla on a plate or board, put the scramble in, top with cheese, and roll it up.
- Spray the pan, turn the heat down to low.
- Put the burrito back in the pan, press down with a spatula for 1 minute. Flip it over and do the same to the other side.
- Slather in Tapatio and dig in!
A light meal or snack, filled with fresh scrambled eggs, veggies, and gooey cheese. And it’s grilled. Yum!